• Clinical context for capacity assessments & nature of decisions
• Review of consecutive Court of Protection ‘dementia’ referrals to single expert:
- Reasons for referral to Court
- Range of decisions
- Clinical challenges – complexity of ‘dementia’ cases
• Court of Protection decisions specific to mental capacity assessments & reports
• Tips / practical advice to ensure compliance with law + best practice.
Dr Peter Jefferys
Honorary Consultant in Psychiatry of Old Age, Norfolk & Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
Previously Consultant Psychiatrist Northwick Park Hospital [1976-2011]
Expert witness (25 years – over 170 cases): Joint expert - Mental Capacity in High Court (Fam) & Court of Protection.
Issues: Deprivation of liberty; contact with others; marriage & sexual relations; finances; retrospective capacity; vulnerability & undue influence; medical treatment; residence & care; testamentary capacity.