This Headteacher Update webinar will offer practical advice, ideas, and tips to help ensure effective tutoring interventions in primary schools.
Whether schools are delivering tutoring via the National Tutoring Programme (NTP) Tuition Partners or their own in-house tutoring programmes, the discussion will seek to offer useful guidance and insights.
The discussion will include setting up tutoring, identifying pupils, working with families, tutor-teacher liaison, and advice about the structure and focus of tutoring (one-on-one or small group, academic focus or pastoral)
The webinar panel will include primary schools delivering tutoring interventions who can talk about their approaches, lessons learned and advice for others.
The webinar takes place in the context of schools working hard to close gaps in attainment exacerbated by the pandemic.
The National Audit Office report (February 2023) – Education recovery in schools in England – finds that the disadvantage gap is growing. After the key stage 2 SATS last year, the disadvantage gap index (a measure of the difference in attainment) was 3.23 compared with 2.91 in 2019. About MyTutor
This webinar is being produced in association with MyTutor. Headteacher Update would like to thank them for their support. MyTutor provides online tuition, matching primary school pupils with fully trained and safeguarded tutors to reinforce class work, boost confidence, and get them SATs-ready.
Lessons have been created in partnership with teachers and leading curriculum providers, ensuring each programme can be tailored to pupils’ individual needs. MyTutor supports more than 1,300 schools and is an official Tuition Partner, as such 60% of programme costs can be covered by the NTP.
A flexible and simple to use platform, with a fully interactive learning environment, keeps pupils engaged and motivated. As Westdale Primary School in Nottingham put it: “The pupils really enjoyed it, they all came back buzzing!”
Find out more at www.schools.mytutor.co.uk/why-primary
or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.orgTHIS WEBINAR WILL SEEK TO ANSWER KEY QUESTIONS:
• Where are we at with the NTP and what can schools expect from September 2023?
• What is the status of the NTP subsidy for schools? What is the status of the NTP Tuition Partners programme?
• What does effective academic tutoring look like?
• How can we identify those pupils who would benefit most from tutoring interventions? (Pupil Premium? RAG-rating?)
• Can tutoring help to close the disadvantage attainment gap? Is it mainly a Pupil Premium intervention?
• How should teachers and tutors work together? How can we ensure effective curriculum links between tutoring and the classroom?
• What traits make a good academic tutor? How should tutors and pupils work together?
• What are the most effective tutoring structures? How long, how often, and when?
• Who should oversee tutoring in schools? Is a senior leadership overview vital?
• How should tutoring be presented to parents/carers? How can they support the process? How can we communicate outcomes?
• How do you monitor and measure tutoring outcomes in order to ensure it is effective?
• One-to-one vs small group tutoring – pros and cons
• Tutoring as preparation for SATs – any specific advice? Pastoral tutoring
• What does effective pastoral tutoring look like?
• What traits make a good pastoral tutor?
• Where’s the focus? Wellbeing, mental health, social skills, behaviour, attendanceQuestion & answer from the audience
As well as the discussion above, our panel will take questions from the webinar audience
The webinar will be made available to watch on demand after initial live broadcast.