The Association of West Indian Gastroenterologists (AWIG) is the main professional association for gastroenterologists in the English speaking Caribbean. The post-graduate course is directed mainly at the membership, which consists primarily of practicing clinical gastroenterologists, and a few radiologists, surgeons, and pathologists.
The membership as a whole has a strong interest in clinical excellence, pursuing clinical research and functioning as GI Medical Experts applying medical knowledge, clinical skills, and professional attitudes in their provision of patient-centered care.
Derek Mitchell MD
Department of Surgery, University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
John Marshall MD
Professor of Medicine, Director, Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University
Ernst Kuipers MD
Professor, Head of Department, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, The Netherlands
Marcus Cooper MD
Gastroenterologist, Gastro Care Bahamas
Trevor M. Murphy MD
Consultant in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine University Hospital of the West Indies Associate Lecturer, Department of Medicine Mona, Jamaica. President, of AWIG
Kenneth Ernest-Suárez MD
Gastroenterologist and Digestive Endoscopy Specialist - University of Costa Rica
Alan Barkun MD
Professor, Department of Medicine, McGill University; Associate Dept of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, cross-appt to Dept of Surgery, Mcgill University
At the end of this event, participants should:
1. Have in-depth knowledge of the variables and steps involved in the use of antithrombotics periprocedurally.
2. Be prepared to apply a critical evidence-based approach to improving quality in gastrointestinal endoscopy and the effect of COVID on delivering safe and timely procedures.
3. Have been updated on new management of alcoholic liver disease.
4. Have been updated on the management of dysplasia in IBD as well as employing target specific IBD therapies.
5. Understand and be able to apply the current and expanded role which pathology plays in the management of
6. Have been updated on the management of Chronic Atrophic Gastritis.
11:30 AM INTRODUCTION Trevor Murphy
Session Moderator: Derek Mitchell
12:00 PM DYSPLASIA IN IBD. HOW SHOULD WE DO IT? John Marshall
12:30 PM ATROPHIC GASTRITIS MANAGEMENT FINALLY COMING OF AGE Ernst Kuipers
1:00 PM MARIJUANA FOR PAINS IN THE BUTT Marcus Cooper
1:30 PM BREAK - PENTAX / ANDAR Demonstrations
Session Moderator: Trevor Murphy
2:00 PM TREAT TO TARGET AND PATIENT PROFILING IN IBD. Kenneth Ernest-Suarez
2;30 PM PRESIDENTIAL LECTURE THE USE OF ANTITHROMBOTICS AND BLEEDING. WHAT SHOULD A GASTROENTEROLOGIST KNOW IN 2011 Alan Barkun
3:00 PM Worthy Park Estate Jamaica Rum Distillery Tour - special guest Zan Kong (30 minutes)