Stop Asian Hate: How to Avoid Racial Stereotypes in Marketing
Wed, May 19, 2021
at 3:00 PM
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
With May being Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we wanted to take a moment to stand in solidarity with our Asian community members and host a webinar discussion on how to avoid racial stereotypes in marketing.
Marketing has always been a powerful storytelling vehicle and as activist Marian Wright Edelman said, “You can't be what you can't see.” As marketers and storytellers, we want to discuss our role in helping shape the perception of Asian Americans in our community.
For this webinar, we’ll be joined by Gordon Ho, a veteran digital marketer and Board Member of CAPE (Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment). CAPE has been advancing Asian representation in the entertainment industry and Gordon will offer his perspective on how marketing can also play a role.
We'll also be joined by Qun Wei, Head of Growth Data & Analytics at Lemonade, who will discuss how programmatic advertising and AI algorithms can result in racist results if left unchecked and Ekta Chopra, Chief Digital Officer at e.l.f. Beauty who will share some concrete recommendations on how to be an ally.
This webinar will explore the following themes:
• How the ‘bamboo ceiling’ can be reinforced or broken by marketing and media portrayals of Asian Americans;
• The unconscious bias that can be found in algorithms if not checked;
• Ways marketers can use their storytelling powers to educate their companies and their customers; and
• How to be anti-racist or an ally to your community and colleagues.
• Gordon Ho, Principal, CMO & President at Xpertainment and Board Member at Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment (CAPE)
• Ekta Chopra, Chief Digital Officer at e.l.f. Beauty
• Qun Wei, Head of Growth Data & Analytics at Lemonade
• Moderated by: Veronika Sonsev, Co-Founder, CommerceNext
PLEASE NOTE: This is the second of two back-to-back webinars on May 19th.
IMPORTANT: IF YOU REGISTER FOR THE FIRST GIFTING WEBINAR, YOU'RE AUTOMATICALLY REGISTERED FOR (AND WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REDIRECTED TO) THIS BONUS WEBINAR.
Photo by Kareem Hayes on Unsplash
Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 3:00 PM
Eastern Time (US & Canada)