In this CLE* webinar, John Miranda, a former USPTO trademark examiner and current attorney at Meister Seelig & Fein, will guide you through the fundamentals of U.S. trademark searches. He'll explain USPTO examiners' search strategies and give advice about how private practitioners can mimic these strategies in order to effectively predict citations under Section 2(d). Topics discussed will include the following:
* TESS: how to effectively use the free-form search option to maximize the number of relevant search results while reducing noise
* Phonetic Equivalents and Truncation: breaking up words into parts and identifying letters that sound similar and others which may convey similar commercial impressions
* Coordinated Classes: an explanation of which classes are related to which and how to use that to find relevant search results
* Design Codes: an introduction to search codes and an explanation of how to mix and match them to find relevant marks
Everyone who’s registered for this webinar will receive an email with a link to the recording.
* Alt Legal is a CLE provider in California. For more information about CLE credit for Alt Legal Community events and CLE credit in other states, check out our CLE FAQ here: https://blog.altlegal.com/cle-faq
Thursday, August 5, 2021 · 4:00 p.m.
Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Who can attend
Dial-in available? (listen only)
Hosted By Alt Legal Community
Talks, webinars, roundtable discussions, and other Alt Legal Community events
John S. Miranda is a trademark attorney based in NYC with experience representing clients of all sizes and in all major brand-driven industries. He is currently an Associate Attorney at Meister Seelig & Fein, where he focuses his practice on U.S....