Climate change is assuming a greater role in consumer purchasing decisions and companies are taking note of growing consumer awareness of the food industry’s carbon footprint.
Companies are recognizing that they can gain a distinct advantage in the marketplace by addressing climate concerns and by providing carbon ratings on processed foods and menu items.
This session will take a close look at how food producers and service providers are proceeding with carbon labeling initiatives. The webinar will also provide a step-by-step guide on how to plan for, and responsibly implement, a carbon footprint rating system and examine:
• The origins of carbon footprint labeling for foods
• Which companies are providing carbon labeling
• Factors to consider when providing carbon footprint rankings
• Choosing a third-party accreditation and certification program
• The legal framework for carbon rating disclosures
• The role of the USDA, FDA, and Federal Trade Commission
• Best practices and safe harbors for providing carbon footprint ratings