How do student publications move from print to digital? A growing number of student media advisers, journalism educators and student journalists worldwide are wrestling with how, and how fast, to shift their outlets -- or at least how to more smoothly sync the two together.
This one-hour session will feature a rapid-fire breakdown of the many things you and your student media team should consider when making the leap to online-only, digital-first or simply more digital-and-mobile friendly. Examples of successful and failed student media reinventions will also be shared. And five key traps will be laid out that you may want to sidestep before, during and after the transition.
What you’ll learn from this training:
- Changing production routines and new staff responsibilities and positions
- Financial challenges and emerging revenue schemes
- Audience engagement issues and social media innovation
- New types of student media storytelling to consider
- The big bad B-word (branding)
- Student media revolution versus (r)evolution
- Collaborating and competing with classes, the professionals & Facebook
- Confessions pages
- Remaking print for a millennial audience
- Incorporating mobile into the mix
- Creating a student media newsroom for the 21st century