Title: Data Viz 101: How to Transform Data into Interactive Stories Without Knowing Code
Tips, tools, techniques – and why data visualization matters
Instructor: Carl V. Lewis. Data Journalist/Data Journalism Consultant.
If the term “data visualization” leaves you either paralyzed by technological confusion or limited to boring Excel charts, this is just the course for you. This session will give participants a solid foundation and a wealth of easy-to-use, code-free resources – to find, clean, analyze and visualize data for producing interactive data stories.
The proliferation of limitless data into almost every sector – from nonprofits to banks, small businesses and media organizations – has made it more important than ever to have people who can navigate users and business owners through the sea of information by contextualizing and visualizing mass datasets into easy-to-understand narratives.
- Data Viz Tools and Tutorials Cheat-Sheet
- Recommended readings, resources, blogs.
- Data Visualization Explained, in a Single Venn Diagram
- One-Page Guide to Choosing the Right Chart
- Optional free e-book reading: "Data + Design: A simple introduction to preparing and visualizing information (2015)"
Who should take this training:
- Journalists and media professionals who want to add an in-demand skill (without studying programming!)
- Marketers seeking to demonstrate the ROI of campaigns and promotions to employers
- Business strategists and decision-makers seeking better decision-making tools
- Educators in math, science, communications/journalism and more seeking new ways to produce class materials and teach their students.
- Anyone wishing to delve into the growing field of Big Data but in need of an introduction of where to start